Sunday 21 September 2014

Using the unforeseeable to justify the exclusion of the foreseeable

I have seen this type of (to me) rather bizarre non sequitur argument a few times over recent months, and from individuals that I would normally consider to be intelligent and able thinkers.

Basically it goes like this:

1. Our actions/decisions have possible but unpredictable/unforeseeable consequences.

2. (from 1) therefore we should ignore the (inconveniently negative*) probable/predictable/foreseeable consequences of our actions/decisions.

*while of course taking full account of any conveniently positive consequences

to illustrate with an example extreme enough to be (I hope) obviously false:

Any action I take could result in someone, or indeed many people, being murdered at some point in the future (in a chaos "butterfly" kind of way)
If people are going to be murdered as a result of my actions anyway, it is OK if I murder someone myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment